The world has changed. Why is this happening? Smartsheet transforms your work.
Chances are that you have realized that you need to scale your digital project management in your agency. You may be receiving a lot of new projects and need to manage them. Or you may have been struggling to manage your existing workload and have over-budgets, decreased quality work, stressed clients and team relationships. Either way, it’s time for you to set up a PMO (Project Management Office), to help build your digital project management team.
Teams often jump into creating processes, tools, and templates. These are tangible deliverables, and I understand that. You may feel like you’re solving or building something instantly, but this approach is too short-sighted.
I recommend taking a long-term perspective that begins with the vision of a successful digital project manager department and then plans for how to get there.
Scaling a digital project manager team within your agency
When setting up a PMO, or reorganizing a department for digital project management, there are five things you should pay attention to:
1. Purpose Gather stakeholders to discuss why you are scaling digital project management.
2. People: Ensure that you have the right people with the right skills and experience for the right salary.
3. Partnerships: Identify the internal partnerships and team structure that your digital project managers need to be successful.
4. Process Plan the processes, templates and tools you’ll need in order to ensure that digital project managers deliver consistent value across all accounts and projects.
5. Performance Monitor the rollout to identify areas for improvement.
It is important to first articulate the business case for why your PMO or digital project management should be set up. You are about to embark upon an initiative that will have a high cost in time, effort, and expense. The outcome will also impact client relationships and team members. The entire plan could collapse if you don’t take into account your agency’s social and creative culture.
Begin by gathering together those responsible for client relations, profit margins and quality of work. As a group, create a common vision for digital project management within the agency.
What’s the purpose of digital project management in an agency?
How can digital project management help the agency achieve its goals?
What values should digital project managers embrace to support our culture?
What are the outcomes we should expect from scaling? How can we measure success?
What is our value proposition for digital project management?
There will be many answers, but these are some examples to get you started.
1. What’s the purpose of digital project management in an agency?
To achieve success in projects by reducing risk and issues through the organization, planning, and management of all project activities.
2. How can digital project management help the agency achieve its growth goals?
We increase the volume, velocity and quality of the projects we deliver.
3. What values should digital project managers embrace to support our culture?
They should be able to: inspire client outcomes with vision and reason; plan with empathy and challenge groupthink; solve problems through critical thought; empower and support clients and teams; and contribute value to their projects.
4. What are the outcomes of scaling project management? How can we measure success?
These are some key performance indicators that you can use:
Quality of work is higher
Increased number and profitability of profitable projects compared to previous year
Increased average. Project profit margin increased over the previous year